Rigging Reel 2013 - Not so rigging

5:47 AM shockFX 0 Comments


I was graduate from The One Academy Sunway Campus , along with completion of Digital Animation with Game Development Diploma program. For my FYP , I took the role of characters rigging , shading , lighting and compositing. After a full year of hard works, Cube Production , a team of six has finished their final project. ( Note that I fled away while project was 95% done due to other works and jobs came in at the same time, but I still did plenty of stuff and that still remain unchanged in this short. )


After characters being modeled by modeler , I took over and start rigging process as soon as possible. Both of the characters are basically "usable" after 2 weeks of non-stop speed rush work. Standing on today perspective , I would say I've overdone the rigging part to fix all possible penetration issue , where this kind of problems are usually getting fixed by vertex animation before render starts or just simply cover all the errors during compositing phase. 3D model rigs will never be perfect , because it's computer.


Next , I moved on to shading phase. For people who don't know what shading is , you can just imagine without shading , the character is only cover by plain white color. You can decide what kind of material you want your characters' model to have , color , reflectivity, or transparency etc .
It was a truly difficult task because that was my very first attempt on cel-shading. Characters' model must be simplify so that light can hit on their faces evenly without weird popping issue. In fact , a task as simple as this , a face with only 2 colors , light and dark , is the biggest obstacle that I need to get over with. In most cases , I chose direct light as it doesn't cause major issue and yet you can have a very good look of characters. But somehow when character moves his head , it will be kinda headache to keep lighting look as good as before.

Lastly , compositing phase, and it was all done under Adobe After Effects. Honestly , if I've learnt The Foundry Nuke that time , I wouldn't be taking After Effects as my compositing software because Nuke gives me more control of everything.

Even though I name this as Rigging reel , but yet it still involved a lot of lighting and compositing skills within this demo reel.



Rigging Demo Reel 2013 from Chan Kar Hoong on Vimeo.

0 comments: